Legal Writing Course
The British Legal Centre’s - Legal Writing Course is a 15-unit, interactive, online course teaching the essential skills of drafting clear, precise letters, documents and contracts. This includes the basic skills of structuring and formatting, correct grammar and style, together with assistance to make all writing you produce clear concise and easy to understand.
All the differing requirements of all types of letters and legal documents are dealt with, stressing the common rule of being easily understood. The course presents key written communication skills in a series of lessons following detailed reading and listening passages. The course exercises, involve the production of typical work-place documents that they are required to write in their daily work. There is a heavy emphasis on the production of written material by the students to test and expand their legal drafting ability. The trainers provide detailed feedback on the home tasks and all are either practicing British lawyers, working in the area of Commercial and Contract Law or experienced teachers of Law and Legal English.
THE COURSE INCLUDES more
- Letter writing practice
- Contract Drafting practice
- General Document drafting practice
- Instruction on structure style layout and content
- Inter-active writing exercises
- Exercises to practice brevity and conciseness and accuracy
- Grammar Exercises
- the practical language of contract formation
- legal vocabulary
- glossary with definitions
- course certificate upon successful completion
The essential basic vocabulary and phrases which are most often used in legal documents, providing explanations of the meaning and use of archaic legal English, including Latin and Norman French.
COURSE CONTENTS more
- Structure layout and style (i) structuring letters and contracts. The correct layout and formatting of letters and legal documents.
- Structure layout and style (ii) the correct forms of business salutation and closure in letters and the use of pre-ambles in contracts and other documentation. Using the correct tone in correspondence
- Structure layout and style (iii) the correct order of content, report writing, correct use of legalese in documents
- Brevity and accuracy – Ellipsis, punctuation, sentence length, precision in descriptions
- Grammar (i) – Possessive pronouns and reported speech
- Grammar (ii) - continuity, countable nouns, verb tenses
- Grammar (iii) - complex verb tenses, conditionals
- letter writing - letters of complaint, letters of apology - purpose of these letters and their contents
- contract drafting (i) – contents, structure, essentials, accuracy
- contract drafting (ii) – preambles, warranties, boilerplate clauses
- General legal documentation – content, structure, layout
- Legalese - common and useful Latin and Norman French words, phrases and meaning
- Style and language - use of the active voice, strong verbs, strong adjectives. Direct sentences, making the meaning clear
- Language to avoid – idioms, ‘isms', shall, and/or, - how to précis.
- Report writing – Structure, layout,, tone, addendums, appendices
COURSE TERMINOLOGY more
The course covers essential basic vocabulary and phrases which are most often used in legal documents such as contracts and other agreements. It provides explanations of the meaning and use of archaic legal English, including Latin and Norman French.
MATERIALS FOR STUDENTS
On-line glossary of vocabulary and phrases.
Access to the archive of past lessons to assist participants review progress and revise.